Anti-Harassment Training: Unconscious Bias, Micro-Inequities, and Using Micro-Affirmations and Ally Behavior
Our unconscious biases impact how we engage with others at work in multiple ways we are not even aware of. In this interactive and inspiring workshop, you’ll learn:
- Why diverse and inclusive organizations have higher return on investment
- How we can understand and push back against our unconscious biases
- What are micro-inequities and why they are so powerful
- What constitutes illegal harassment case studies
- How micro-affirmations and ally behavior enhance inclusion while lifting morale and performance of all
- What bystander behaviors are within your comfort zone
- Why managers and HR need to welcome grievances and prompt, independent investigations
- What are prompt remedial measures and why are they so critical
Come prepared for ah-ha moments – you’ll learn how to enhance organizational culture, inclusiveness, employee performance, and innovation.
Recommended time: 2 hours
ADA & FMLA Compliance: You Need an Expeditor!
Leave and disability management are among the most difficult and disruptive tasks for a supervisor or manager. Too often, these situations are subject to delay, mishandling, and errors that land employers in court. While most supervisors and managers make daily decisions in this legal minefield, few if any have been trained to do so properly. In this interactive seminar using case scenarios, you will learn everything you need to know about expediting the ADA and FMLA compliance process, including:
- What impairments are covered
- How legal protection is triggered
- How to engage in the interactive process
- How to get actionable information from medical providers quickly
- What are reasonable accommodations
- Leaves of absence – how long is reasonable?
- What is an undue hardship on the employer and the work unit
- How to handle intermittent leaves
- How to create a great back-to-work program
- How to rally your team to support reasonable accommodations
Recommended time: 2 hours
Team-Based Employee Wellness: An Exciting, Fast Path to Workplace Wellbeing
In this 75-minute workshop for work teams, we start by defining wellness in the broadest of terms. We explore what resilience means and the factors that help us thrive. And, we examine specific ways to enhance physical, social, mental, spiritual, and occupational wellness at work.
Then, each participant will define their own specific wellness goals. Finally, team members will meet to 1) determine specific ways they can support each other’s individual wellness goals, and 2) identify areas of commonality and decide on shared activities the team can commit to. We’ll close by determining how you’ll hold each accountable in a supportive way. This program is a great way to increase participation in existing wellness offerings. Come prepared to change your game!
Recommended time: 75 minutes
Managing for Mental Wellness and Legal Compliance: Best Practices and Team Exercises for Managers
This interactive workshop is designed to help managers create a supportive, mentally healthy work environment, and to effectively support and accommodate employees experiencing mental health conditions. Our emphasis is on uniting work teams to understand, utilize, and support diverse ways of working together to enhance engagement and performance. We cover:
- Emotional Wellbeing and Engagement. Learn the elements of a psychologically healthy workplace and their proven connection to employee engagement. Then, discover the management practices to prioritize.
- Mitigating Stressors Together. Clarify the most common workplace stressors and how you can mobilize your team to mitigate and manage them together.
- Mental Health Literacy. Learn about common conditions; incidence; efficacy of treatment and management of conditions; barriers to seeking treatment; and how to promote help-seeking behavior.
- Managing Across Functional Differences. There is no bright line between those with and without mental health conditions. We all have different styles and levels of cognitive, social, and emotional functioning. In this module, we’ll study a chart of common functional impairments and simple, low- or no-cost ways of accommodating them. Then you’ll learn how to get your team to support each other in working across these differences now. Your staff won’t need to wait until a mental health crisis to ask for help in doing their best work!
- Accommodating Specific Employees. Learn what your responsibilities are under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act and how to effectively address situations quickly and effectively: what you should do if an employee appears to be or informs you they are experiencing mental health distress; how to talk to and support employees while maintaining appropriate boundaries; what you can and should say and do; what you should avoid saying and doing; how to handle confidentiality; and how to obtain and act on necessary information quickly. We’ll also cover best practices and legal parameters around alcohol and substance abuse, including pot.
Recommended time: ½ day
Leaders: Design Your Mental Wellness Strategy
In this workshop for organizational leaders, legal, and HR, we’ll take you through the steps to create a comprehensive mental wellness strategy tailored to the specific needs of your organization. We’ll use a two-part process:
Part 1: Assess your organization’s current approach to mental health and emotional wellness in these areas:
- Strategic Vision of How Advancing Mental Wellness Improves Employee Engagement
- Scope of Wellness Program Incorporates Mental Health and Resilience
- Current Level of Mental Health Literacy
- The Five Elements of Psychologically Healthy Workplaces
- The Five Most Common Sources of Workplace Stress and How to Mitigate Them
- Cultural Climate and Messaging
- Manager and HR Practices: Supporting and Accommodating Employees and ADA and FMLA Compliance
- Access to Affordable, Quality, Timely Mental Health Services
Part 2: Based on your assessment results, we’ll help you design a Mental Wellness Strategy tailored to your organization. Components will include:
- Work Group. Determine who will own and implement this work.
- Leadership Vision and Strategy. Prioritize the methods your organization will use to mitigate stress and build a psychologically healthy workplace. Develop a plan and timeline.
- HR/Legal/Management Training: Identify training you will offer on supporting and accommodating employees experiencing mental health conditions and impairments, to maximize productivity and ADA/FMLA compliance.
- Wellness Program. List ways you will broaden your wellness program to encompass mental health and resilience.
- Mental Health Services. Make a plan to work with health care, EAP vendors and others to strengthen early access to affordable, quality mental health services.
- Culture and Messaging. Clarify leadership and messaging approach to promote a total wellness culture.
Recommended time: 90 minutes per session, on two separate days
Consulting services are highly recommended to accompany this work, at additional cost.
Team-Based Work/life Fit and Flexible Work Strategies
When employees lack work/life fit and appropriate flexibility, employee engagement, health, productivity, and retention suffer. Every employer offers some type of flexibility, but it is usually on an ad hoc, reactive basis. Team-based flexibility opens up a world of possibilities that individual flex arrangements can’t. In this workshop, we guide you, as supervisor, and your team members, through a process of identifying individual flexibility and work/life fit goals. Then, we facilitate a discussion of how team members can align to help each other achieve their specific goals. Finally, we help the team establish a process for holding each other accountable in a supportive, collaborative way. Our shared objective is to create a thriving team culture of achieving work/life goals, while meeting and exceeding performance targets and client expectations.
Recommended time: 2 hours